Was your car produced after 1993?
If so, it will have a catalytic converter and could be at risk of theft. Older cars may also be at risk.
Did you know a thief can take the catalytic converter from your car in a matter of minutes and leave you to foot the bill?
Precious metals such as rhodium, platinum and palladium are used in catalytic converters. The price of some of these metals has risen sharply in recent years and as a result has led to an increase in the theft of catalytic convertors.
Cars that are most often targeted are hybrid vehicles, as these vehicles have two power sources, so the catalytic converter is used less frequently. The metals are less likely to corrode, meaning they are worth more and therefore more attractive to thieves.
Hybrid cars, Vans and SUV’s are particularly at risk, as the ride height makes access to the exhaust system beneath them easier.
The Toyota Prius, Toyota Auris, Honda Jazz and the Honda CR-V are often targeted
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF HAVING YOUR CATALYTIC CONVERTER STOLEN, YOU SHOULD:
- Park your car in a locked garage where possible, but if this isn’t an option, then park it in a well-lit and well-populated area
- Park close to fences, walls or a kerb to make the theft more difficult
- Avoid parking your vehicle half on the pavement and half on the road, as this may make it easier for thieves to access the catalytic converter
- If parking in a public car park, consider parking alongside other cars and facing your bonnet towards the wall if possible. With the catalytic converter positioned at the front of your vehicle, this will make it harder for thieves to get close enough to steal it
- If there is a fleet of vehicles, park the low clearance vehicles to block the high clearance vehicles. This will obstruct access underneath
- If your catalytic converter is bolted on, you can ask for your local garage to weld bolts to make it more difficult to remove
- Speak to your dealership about the possibility of adding a tilt sensor that will activate the alarm should any thief try to jack the vehicle up to steal the converter
- If you see someone acting suspiciously under a vehicle, report it to the Police. Obtain as much information as possible, including any vehicle registrations.